5 Ways to get more life out of your Brakes
Owning a car comes with certain responsibilities including periodic maintenance like oil changes, timing belts, brakes and other wearable parts. Making sure your car is taken care of will save you money down the road. Your brakes are one of the most important safety components of your vehicle. Keeping them in good working order is one of the easiest ways to limit expensive accidents. Here are some tips to get the most life from them and save you money in the long run.
- No Hot Rodding! It takes a lot more work for the brakes to slow the car down if you are speeding. And, on the plus side you’ll save on speeding tickets too.
- Always pay attention to traffic patterns and anticipate your next stop. Let off the gas pedal well before a red light and coast to a stop. It will save the life of your brake pads and may even prevent a rear-end collision.
- Slowly pump rather than stomp on the brakes. By releasing and applying the pedal, you give the brakes a chance to cool down improving performance and longevity.
- Only use your right foot for both the brake and gas pedals. That way the brake never gets hit while using the gas. Even just resting your foot on the brake pedal while driving can make the brakes drag and cause premature wear.
- Use quality brakes. Just because a cheaper brake pad is available does not mean it’s recommended by the manufacturer. By using premium brakes with the correct formulation, you can get many more miles between brake repairs and have fewer issues like brake noise.
Try these 5 tips and you’ll be on your way to fewer headaches and saving money over time on your brake repairs. If you have any brake replacement, brake repair or even just basic brake inspection needs here in Beaverton Oregon, we at Cottman of Beaverton are always happy to help! Happy motoring.